As per Government instructions, if any of your household are showing symptoms, please store recycling for 72 hours before putting in your regular recycling container for collection. Any personal waste, such as tissues, need to be double bagged, and then stored for 72 hours before being placed in your residual waste bin.
From the 24th July, wearing face masks will mandatory in all shops, both for yours and other health. Find out how you can make your own face covering and how to wear one effectively from these government pages.
All household waste and recycling centres are now open but please only visit if you cannot store your bulky waste at home because the sites are all incredibly busy. A number of restrictions are in place including social distancing which has reduced the capacity of the sites to between one third to a half of their normal capacity and there are likely to be long queues.
Sites may need to close temporarily if queues start causing a safety hazard on the public highway and residents will be advised to come back later. For more information visit the Recycle Center home page here.
Consider doing some of the following to help us, help you:
- Do not undertake any large DIY home improvement, decluttering or garden projects that will produce a lot of waste, unless you are able to store the waste produced.
- Leave grass cuttings on the lawn to return nutrients to the soil. Will make for a greener lawn come summer!
- Start home composting. As a Devon resident you can buy reduced price compost bins via getcomposting.com. Alternatively, make your own permanent or temporary compost heap from materials to hand. Good for all lawn/garden trimmings and food waste.
- Think about your food waste. Find recipes to effectively use up ingredients via our FREE recipe book “Have your food and eat it”, remember to compost all scraps and peelings and your freezer is your friend!
- Leave areas of your garden to grow wild – the bees and butterflies will love it!
- Remember to wash your hands before putting your bins out for the safety of your collection crews.
How to Bag Waste