Furnishing a new home can feel like a huge and overwhelming task but it doesn’t need to cost the earth!
The best things in life are free!
- Don’t think twice about accepting a few hand-me-downs when you have just moved into your new home. If friends, family members or colleagues are offering furniture, curtains, or crockery for free, then say yes – and save all the money you can.
- Check out local Facebook groups – as well as sites such as Freecycle or Freegle. You can always list items on these sites again once you no longer need them.
- If you have furniture that’s seen better days, look online for ideas on how to upcycle it.
- Find out where your local reuse charities are and donate or buy locally. Visit our Dontate Locally page for more information.
- Reuse charities sell reused household goods such as furniture, electricals, bric-a-brac and some new items including mattresses.
- They aim to reduce the amount of waste going to disposal and some assist in alleviating poverty by providing household goods at a low cost to people in need.
Devon Reuse Shops
- All Devon household waste recycling centres (HWRCs) excluding Totnes and Torbay have a shop where you can purchase good quality items at a fraction of the cost of the new version.
- Opening times and locations of the Devon Reuse Shops can be found on our Reuse Shops page
- Have a look at the Devon Reuse Shops’ Facebook group to see unusual items that arrive at the shops as well as interesting articles and information relating to reuse.