Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
Prep 20 mins, 30 mins cook time. Serves 4.
• 2tsp oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1tbsp fresh minced ginger
• 1 bunch spring onions, diced
• 2 stalks lemongrass, tender white inner bulb only, finely minced
• 1tsp ground turmeric
• ¼tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 400g tin, full fat coconut milk
• 1L chicken stock or stock cube
• 450g cooked chicken, shredded
• 1-2 handfuls sweet potatoes chunks, cooked (boiled or roasted leftovers) and cut into bitesize pieces
• 1 pepper, chopped
• 1tsp dried basil
• To garnish: coriander, hot sauce and lime juice
• Optional: 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter or cashew butter
Fry garlic, ginger, spring onion and lemongrass for 3-5 minutes. Next add in turmeric and cayenne pepper; stir and cook for 30 more seconds to release flavours.
Add in coconut milk, chicken stock and cooked chicken, ensuring the chicken is covered by the broth. Stir well to combine. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer.
Stir in sweet potato, pepper and basil. Simmer for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Garnish with coriander, extra spring onion and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
To make a vegetarian or vegan option:
Use vegetarian stock and swap chicken for a tin of chickpeas.
Keep ginger root in the freezer and grate from frozen. No need to peel!